Expand your students’ horizons and enrich classroom teaching with the help of our incredible collections and engaging programmes. Spanning the natural world, world cultures, science, technology, design, art and fashion, archaeology and Scottish history, our collections bring the Curriculum for Excellence to life for primary and secondary school students.
What’s on offer?
Workshops and activities vary across our four museums. Find out more about what’s on offer here:
How much does a visit cost?
Pre-booked school visits, teacher-led object handling sessions and downloadable resources are free of charge. All other activities cost £65 per class, unless otherwise stated. Maximum class size is 33 students.
Your school will be invoiced after your visit.
How do I book?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us to discuss your visit:
- National Museum of Scotland 0131 247 4041
- National War Museum 0131 247 4041
- National Museum of Flight 0131 247 4238
- National Museum of Rural Life 0131 247 4377
What information do I need to provide when booking?
- Which one of our four museums you would like to visit
- The workshops and/or activities you would like to take part in
- Name and address of school
- School telephone number
- Name of group leader
- Group leader e-mail address
- Number and age of pupils
- Number of adults (ratio 1 adult: 10 children)
- Preferred date and time for your visit
- Whether you require a space in our lunch room
- Details of pupils with additional support needs
How long will our workshop last and when should we arrive?
- The duration of all workshops can be found in the schools programmes.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your workshop is due to begin so you can use the toilets and put bags and coats in the cloakroom.
- You should allow additional time after your workshop if you wish to visit the shop.
Will there be time for us to visit the rest of the museum?
- We recommend that if you book a morning workshop you visit the galleries after lunch.
- If you book an afternoon workshop you should visit the galleries before lunch.
How do we cancel our visit?
If you need to cancel please give as much notice as possible. We may have to charge an administration fee if you cancel within three weeks of your planned visit.