Key dates This timeline lists important date in the history of National Museums Scotland. National Museum of Antiquities 1858-1995 1780 - The Society of Antiquaries of Scotland founded 1781 - The Society of Antiquaries of Scotland establishes museum in Cowgate, Edinburgh 1826 - The Antiquaries’ collections move to Royal Institution, the Mound 1858 - National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland founded 1891 - National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland moves to Finlay Building, Queen Street 1985 - National Heritage (Scotland) Act 1984 amalgamates NMAS with Royal Scottish Museum 1995 - National Museum of Antiquities closes National Museums Scotland 1855 to present 1855 - Act of Parliament establishes funding for Industrial Museum of Scotland. George Wilson appointed as first director of the Industrial Museum 1861 - Prince Albert, the Prince Consort, lays foundation stone of Industrial Museum of Scotland in Chambers Street, Edinburgh 1862 - Industrial Museum, under Director Thomas C Archer, opens in Argyll Square, Edinburgh 1864 - Industrial Museum renamed the Edinburgh Museum of Science and Art 1865 - Natural History collections move from Edinburgh University to Edinburgh Museum of Science and Art 1866 - Edinburgh Museum of Science and Art opens in Chambers Street in a new building, designed by architect, Francis Fowke 1904 - Edinburgh Museum of Science and Art renamed Royal Scottish Museum 1930 - Scottish United Services Museum founded, housed in Edinburgh Castle 1970 - Royal Scottish Museum incorporates the Scottish United Services Museum 1975 - Museum of Flight established at East Fortune Airfield in East Lothian 1982 - Shambellie House Museum of Costume opens at New Abbey, Dumfries 1982 - Scottish Agricultural Museum (forerunner of National Museum of Rural Life) opens at Ingliston 1985 - National Heritage (Scotland) Act 1985 establishes National Museums of Scotland 1995 - Granton Centre, now National Museums Collection Centre, a research, storage and conservation facility, which has been occupied since 1974, is transferred to National Museums of Scotland. 1995 - Royal Scottish Museum renamed Royal Museum 1998 - The Museum of Scotland opens in a new building in Chambers Street, designed by architects Benson and Forsyth 2000 - The refurbished Scottish United Services Museum opens as the National War Museum of Scotland 2001 - Museum of Scottish Country Life, now National Museum of Rural Life, opens at Kittochside, East Kilbride 2006 - Renamed National Museums Scotland 2006-11 - The Royal Museum Project renovates most of the Victorian building in Chambers Street and creates 16 new galleries in the National Museum of Scotland. Inside the Victorian Royal Museum building. Click on the image to see a larger, more detailed picture.