Avro Anson G-APHV See the vintage Avro Anson undergoing restoration at the National Museum of Flight, East Fortune. A vintage military aircraft The Anson first flew in March 1935 and entered service with the RAF as a reconnaissance aircraft. In its day it represented leading edge technology, and was the first RAF twin-engine aircraft to boast a retractable undercarriage. To operate its landing gear, early Ansons required a hand crank to be manually turned no less than 140 times by the pilot prior to landing. Above: Avro Anson undergoing restoration in Hangar 2 at East Fortune. Faithful Annie Nicknamed 'Faithful Annie' by her crews, the Anson was utilised in many roles by the armed forces, although it was originally designed as a passenger aircraft for Imperial Airways. Production and service began in 1936, with the last military example retired in 1968. The Anson served with Coastal Command with great distinction as a capable search and rescue machine, but found a niche as a multiple engine trainer for bombers during the Second World War. More than 11,000 Avro Ansons were built for the British military and other forces around the world. Airshow Avro Anson Above: Avro Anson flying over East Fortune on Sat 28 July 2012 © p_rocket71. After being used for charter and executive purposes after the war, the last Avro Ansons were withdrawn from service in 1968. Today only one military Anson still survives in airworthy condition and is operated by Air Atlantique. This aircraft was part of the air display at the Airshow at National Museum of Flight on Saturday 28 July 2012. Find out more about this aircraft in an Airshow blog post. Avro Anson at National Museum of Flight The Avro Anson currently being restored in East Fortune is a C.19, very different in appearance from the original military Mk. I aircraft used by the RAF during the Second Word War. Just over 250 C.19 Ansons were built. Our aircraft was given the civil aircraft registration G-APHV, but originally had the military serial VM360. Tender loving care Restoration on the Avro Anson began at the National Museum of Flight with assistance from the Aircraft Preservation Society of Scotland (APSS). See images of the Avro Anson being restored below: Above: Different views of the restoration work of the Avro Anson in Hangar 2. The fuselage, with wing centre section attached, is standing on its undercarriage. The mainframe is exposed and has been repainted, whilst the wooden formers have been examined and replaced where necessary. Wooden fittings, such as window frames and doors, have been remade. The whole fabric outer covering has been stripped off and is currently being replaced. All of the aircraft will be covered apart from a small section near the tail in order to reveal the internal structure of the aircraft for display. Internally the aircraft is stripped out and work has been started on refurbishing the cabin and the cockpit. Both the outer wings and tailplane are completed, with the tailplane now fitted to the airframe. The tail cone has been completely rebuilt and covered. The engines are complete and attached to the centre section. The propellers are inhibited and are in their original state. The wheels have been fitted with new inner tubes and are complete and fitted. Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah radial air-cooled aero engine, c.1960, weighing 327 kilos and developing 360 horse power. Avro Anson fact file Crew: 3-4 Max speed: 303km/h Length: 12.88m Wingspan: 17.22m Height: 3.99m Powerplant: 2 x Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah radial engines On display: Civil Aviation, Hangar 2, National Museum of Flight Did you know? Our Anson was built at the Avro Shadow Factory at Yeadon Aerodrome, now better known as Leeds Bradford International Airport. Silhouette of Avro Anson from the 1952 edition of the Observer's Book of Aircraft. Restoring the tail of the Avro Anson.