Explore jewellery at the National Museum of Scotland through our contemporary jewellery handling collection. This collection contains 23 key pieces along with technique samples, information about the jewellers, a glossary, videos and discussion cards.
Level: S5 - S6
Length of workshop: 60 minutes starting at either 10:15/11:45/13:15
(check your booking for timings and arrive at the museum at least 15 minutes before the start of your workshop)
Dates available: August-June, subject to availability
Booking: Complete our online booking request form.
How should I prepare my class for this workshop?
This is a teacher-led session, so make sure that you are familiar with the resources prior to the workshop. Copies of all of the information will be available on the day. The activity booklet has some examples of activities that pupils can work on prior and during and after the session.
What will my pupils do in the workshop?
This is a teacher led activity. Available for you are:
- 23 pieces of jewellery to explore with artist information cards
- Technique samples created by Edinburgh Collage of Art students showcasing different jewellery materials and techniques
- Discussion cards to help pupils engage with the collections
- A glossary of key terms
- A selection of videos to explain the making process.
Follow up activities
- Visit the Early People gallery on Level -1 and look at the Viking and Roman jewellery. Compare and contrast this to the jewellery seen in the jewellery handling collection.
- Take inspiration from the museum with the activities suggested in our activities booklet. These range from different techniques for drawing within the museum, to jewellery projects that you can do back at school.
- Use our new free guide to jewellery photography within the museum containing useful information and top tips to take pictures using your own cameras.
The following resources are available to download: