It’s 1939 and your class has just been evacuated to Wester Kittochside Farm. Experience life as an evacuee in the countryside during the Second World War.
Timings: 10:15/12:30 (75 mins) (check your booking for timings and arrive at the museum at least 15 minutes before the start of your workshop)
Dates available: 18, 19, 20 September 2019 and 11, 12, 13 March 2020
How should I prepare my group/class for this workshop?
Teachers will be sent evacuee labels in advance of your visit. Please be aware this workshop finishes at the farm and appropriate outdoor clothing should be worn by all.
What will my pupils do in the workshop?
This session involves handling authentic and replica objects.
In this workshop pupils will:
- meet our WW2 teacher Miss Moffat; a character based on a real-life teacher who helped to evacuate pupils from her school in Glasgow.
- discuss and reflect as a group how it must have felt for evacuees moving from the city to the countryside
- handle authentic and reproduction objects including a rattle, gas mask and tawse
- see the differences between school lessons in 1939 and today
- collectively experience and learn the safety drills and procedures children were taught in the classroom.
Useful resources and activities