You can book to visit the museum free of charge with your classes. The natural world, world cultures, science, technology, design, art and fashion, archaeology and Scottish history – whatever your topic, come on a visit to find out more!
Classes: Early, First and second level (Nursery–P7) (Secondary schools can book here)
Timing: 10:30 onwards
Dates available: August – June, cloakroom/lunchroom may be subject to availability on busy days.
What does a general visit involve?
A visit to the museum can be a unique, exciting experience for your pupils and can be used to explore a huge range of topics. The museum is available to visit free of charge for pre-booked UK school groups.
Plus, visit our interactive galleries Explore, Adventure Planet and Imagine, where our staff can engage your pupils through experiments or object handling.
Booking a general visit provides you with:
- Free entry to the museum
- Access to the schools cloakroom and lunchroom
- Access to a range of resources you can use beforehand, or print and bring with to use during the day.
The day is yours to plan, and we’ve provided some top tips below to assist you in doing this.
Details about timings, directions, and risk assessments will be included in your booking confirmation.
If you are visiting us for a workshop or event, you will also have time to explore the museum, please check your booking for timings of this.
- Plan your visit in class using our welcome guide, visual story, or using Google Streetview.
- Pupils need to be supervised at all times when visiting the museum. We recommend splitting your class into smaller groups and choosing a visible meeting point, like the Lighthouse Lens in the Grand Gallery.
- The Millennium Clock, just off the Grand Gallery, has music and a moving figures display just after the hour if you want to see it with your class.
- The museum has three interactive galleries designed for children – Explore, Adventure Planet and Imagine. In the Scotland galleries there are also Discovery Zones on Levels -1, 1, 3 and 5. Find our maps online to help you plan your visit.
- A range of different resources is available to use with your pupils to give you a focus to your day.