Celebrating Black Fashion
8 Oct 2021
Free, with option to add donation
How are progressive changes within the fashion industry being documented through exhibitions and contemporary collecting?
Join model and broadcaster Eunice Olumide as she shares her experience of a transforming industry with museum curator Georgina Ripley. Eunice and Georgina will also discuss Eunice’s recent book How To Get Into Fashion, focussing on creativity, diversity and wellbeing.
This event will be followed by a live Q&A chaired by Mal Burkinshaw, Head of the School of Design at Edinburgh College of Art – a great opportunity for anyone interested in working in a diverse and inclusive fashion industry.
Part of Black History Month 2021.
This event includes live captioning delivered by Stagetext.
Eunice Olumide is a Scottish supermodel, broadcaster and curator who has worked for top designers including Prada and Alexander McQueen. She runs her own fashion label and established The Olumide Gallery in London. She was awarded an MBE in 2017 for services to broadcasting, the arts and charity. Eunice’s MBE is on loan to National Museums Scotland and is currently on display in our Scotland: A Changing Nation gallery.
Georgina Ripley is Principal Curator of Modern & Contemporary Design at National Museums Scotland, and is responsible for the modern and contemporary fashion and textile collections, from 1850 to the present day. Georgina curated National Museums Scotland’s touring exhibition, Body Beautiful: Diversity on the Catwalk currently being shown at The Civic in Barnsley.
Mal Burkinshaw is Head of the School of Design at Edinburgh College of Art. Mal was formerly Programme Director of Fashion and led the Diversity Network, sharing best practice on the theme of diversity and engagement with users' needs and feelings.
How to take part
- A recording of the event will be made available if you’re not able to join us on the night.
- The event will be hosted on Zoom. To book, please register your name and e-mail address via Eventbrite in the website link.
- Please note that you need only book one ticket (either an attendee ticket or an attendee with donation ticket) per household/e-mail address. Prior to the event you will receive a confirmation e-mail with instructions on how to join.
- Following the talk there will be a Q & A session.
- Please note this event will be recorded but your cameras and microphones will automatically be switched off.
Header image: portrait of Eunice Olumide by Frederic Monceau