The Galloway Hoard: Dr Martin Goldberg in conversation with Michael Hirst
25 Mar 2021
If you enjoyed this event please consider making a donation to support our work.
Curator Dr Martin Goldberg joins Vikings writer and producer Michael Hirst to delve into the mysteries of the incredible Galloway Hoard.
Donate now to make more events like this possible, protect our collections and share their stories with the world.
Join Vikings creator, writer and producer, Michael Hirst, and Dr Martin Goldberg, Principal Curator of Medieval Archaeology & History, as they discuss how the Galloway Hoard is transforming our understanding of Viking-age Scotland.
The panel discussion and audience Q&A was chaired by the journalist and author James Naughtie.
Buried at the beginning of the 10th century in Dumfries and Galloway, the Hoard lay undisturbed for a thousand years before being unearthed by a metal detectorist in September 2014. This incredible discovery brings together the richest collection of rare and unique Viking-age objects ever found in Britain or Ireland.
|Chairing the discussion is special correspondent for BBC News, James Naughtie. He became a household name as presenter of the Today programme for 21 years. He also presents Radio 4’s Bookclub. James has a home in Edinburgh.|
Much of Michael’s writing – from the film Elizabeth to the acclaimed TV show Vikings – aims to dispel the myths surrounding their iconic subjects through collaboration with historians and academics. What light can Martin’s research into the Hoard shed on this fascinating period of Scottish history and how might a dramatist like Michael use such new insights to bring this period alive on screen?
Finds from the Galloway Hoard
How to take part
- This event is free, however donations are greatly appreciated. Your support will help protect our remarkable collections and share their stories with the world through events like this.
- A recording of the event will be available in April if you’re not able to join us on the night.
- The event will be hosted on Zoom. To book, please register your name and e-mail address via Eventbrite in the website link.
- Please note that you need only book one ticket (either an attendee ticket or an attendee with donation ticket) per household/e-mail address. Prior to the event you will receive a confirmation e-mail with instructions on how to join.
- Following the talk there will be a Q & A session.
- This event includes live captioning delivered by Stagetext.
- Please note this event will be recorded but your cameras and microphones will automatically be switched off.
- See the Hoard in person at The Galloway Hoard: Viking-age Treasure, a free exhibition due to open later this year at the National Museum of Scotland.
Header image: Detail from an Anglo-Saxon disc brooch.