Keyword search

Advanced search
  • Change view:
  • Grid view
  • List view
Reliquary Reliquary

Monymusk Reliquary consisting of a rectangular casket and lid in the form of a roof, made from wood, copper alloy, silver, enamel and blue glass, decorated with intertwined animals, and possibly once containing a relic of St Columba, from around the 8th century AD

Glass Glass

Fragments of painted or stained glass, from Dunfermline Abbey, Fife, 14th century

Communion flagon Communion flagon

Communion flagon of silver gilt set with red glass stones, by G. and M. Crichton, Edinburgh, 1880 - 1881, from St Paul's and St George's Episcopal Church of Scotland, Edinburgh

Communion cup Communion cup

One of two communions cups by G. and M. Crichton, Edinburgh, 1880 - 1881, presented to St Paul's and St George's Episcopal Church of Scotland, Edinburgh, by Sir David Anderson

Inkstand Inkstand

Silver inkstand in the form of a casket, by Hamilton and Inches, 1898 - 1899, with a lion's head crest over "1903", "William Strang Steel of Philipshaugh, Selkirk", designed by Lady Gibson Carmichael

Brooch Brooch

Heart-shaped brooch with gold fittings, a silver border set with 13 diamonds, and a glass centre said to contain the hair of Prince Charles Edward Stuart given by him to Lady Mary Clark, 18th century

Pendant Pendant

Glazed oval pendant of copper with waist-length portrait of Prince Charles Edward Stuart in Highland dress

Glass, half hour Glass, half hour

Half-hour glass in a wooden frame, used by Sir Walter Scott for timing his literary work and given by him to Elizabeth Lear, daughter of his cousin, Ann Lear, nee Scott

Chair, sedan Chair, sedan

Private sedan chair, handsomely ornamented and painted, with coat of arms on the back, made in Edinburgh or London, c. 1780, and used by Professor Alexander Hamilton, Professor of Midwifery, University of Edinburgh, and his son and successor, Professor James Hamilton, especially in their night practice, c. 1780 - 1839

Banner Banner

Religious banner with red and gold cords attached, depicting St Margaret in flowing robes on one side, and the Lion Rampant on the other, embroidered by a nun from an Edinburgh convent in 1908

Wine glass Wine glass

Wine glass inscribed 'God save the King', 'God bless the Prince of Wales' and '1716', with the monogram 'JR8' and Jacobite national anthem with concluding 'Amen', from Haddington

Goblet Goblet

Cut glass goblet with bowl engraved with a crown and a thistle wreath, reputedly used at a George IV banquet, Edinburgh, 1822, possibly made at the Leith Glass Works

Jug Jug

Glass jug with straight sides and a plain handle, engraved with a fern pattern, the masonic compass, monogram 'WL' and date 1888 by Emanuel Lerche in Alloa

Goblet / wine glass / stirrup cup Goblet / wine glass / stirrup cup

Glass of facon de Venise said to have been James VI's stirrup-cup as he set out from Dunfermline for London and the English crown in 1603, subsequently owned by the Halketts of Pitfirrane

Wine glass Wine glass

Wine glass of the type known as an Amen glass, the bowl engraved with a crown, the royal cypher 'JR VIII', 'Amen', and two verses of a Jacobite version of the national anthem, associated with the Murray Threipland of Fingask family

Wine glass Wine glass

Wine glass of the type known as an Amen glass, the bowl engraved with a closed crown with the monogram cypher 'JR' and 'Amen' and a verse of the national anthem, with 'A Bumper ... the Memory of Mr David Drummond, 1743' engraved on the base

Back to top

We’re reopening our museums

After nearly five months of closure, we have started to welcome visitors back to our museums with a phased reopening.

Find out more