Keyword search

Advanced search
  • Change view:
  • Grid view
  • List view
Bell Bell

Guthrie bell and bell shrine, bearing representations of God and the Crucifixion and an inscription in Latin, from Guthrie Castle, Forfarshire, 12th century

Bell shrine / mount / portion Bell shrine / mount / portion

One of two parts of a bell shrine mount, bronze inlaid with silver and neillo, with Celtic interlace, the ends were formed as three-dimensional animals, with lentoid eyes and swirling tendrils, from Inchaffray Abbey, Perthshire, 1000 - 1200 AD

Bell shrine / mount / portion Bell shrine / mount / portion

One of two parts of a bell shrine mount, bronze inlaid with silver and neillo, with Celtic interlace, the ends were formed as three-dimensional animals, with lentoid eyes and swirling tendrils, from Inchaffray Abbey, Perthshire, 1000 - 1200 AD

Reliquary / locket Reliquary / locket

Silver gilt reliquary in the form of a locket, shaped like a Maltese Cross, from Threave Castle, Kirkcudbrightshire, 15th century

Reliquary Reliquary

Monymusk Reliquary consisting of a rectangular casket and lid in the form of a roof, made from wood, copper alloy, silver, enamel and blue glass, decorated with intertwined animals, and possibly once containing a relic of St Columba, from around the 8th century AD

Crucifix Crucifix

Silver crucifix decorated with niello and mounted on a plain ebony cross, found in a bed in Queen Mary's room at Craigmillar Castle, Edinburgh, 15th or 16th century

Communion cup Communion cup

One of two communions cups by G. and M. Crichton, Edinburgh, 1880 - 1881, presented to St Paul's and St George's Episcopal Church of Scotland, Edinburgh, by Sir David Anderson

Communion cup Communion cup

Silver communion cup by John Mossman, Edinburgh, 1585 - 1586, one of two that were long in the possession of Rosneath Parish Church, Dunbartonshire

Communion cup Communion cup

Silver communion cup from Bolton Parish Church, East Lothian, made by GZ, possibly G. Zeigler, Canongate, 1696

Dagger Dagger

Silver-mounted dagger with an ivory handle, found on the body of François Thurot, a French privateer captain, in Luce Bay, Wigtownshire, 1760

Dirk / fork / knife / sheath Dirk / fork / knife / sheath

Silver-mounted Highland dirk with a wooden hilt, and a scabbard for a knife and fork

Dirk / fork / knife / sheath Dirk / fork / knife / sheath

Silver-mounted Highland dirk with a wooden hilt, and with a sheath and a knife and fork

Dirk Dirk

Highland dirk, incomplete, with a carved wooden hilt and silver mounts, from Rannoch, 18th century

Pistol, snaphance Pistol, snaphance

Snaphance pistol, left hand pistol of pair, all brass (originally gilt) with fishtail butt and snaphance lock, orignally owned by Louis XIII of France, signed and dated, made by James Low, Dundee, Scotland, 1611 AD

Pistol, snaphance Pistol, snaphance

Snaphance pistol, right hand pistol of pair, all brass (originally gilt) with fishtail butt and snaphance lock, orignally owned by Louis XIII of France, signed and dated, made by James Low, Dundee, Scotland, 1611 AD

Powderhorn Powderhorn

Powder-horn made of a large cow's horn, with a silver base-plate engraved with the arms of James Graham, 1st Marquis of Montrose, 17th century

Back to top

We’re reopening our museums

After nearly five months of closure, we have started to welcome visitors back to our museums with a phased reopening.

Find out more