Skip Navigation or Skip to Content

Keyword search

Advanced search
  • Change view:
  • Grid view
  • List view
Shafthole adze Shafthole adze

Flat elongated macehead or shafthole adze of steatite, from Shetland

Ladle Ladle

Handled steatite ladle, from Houlland, Unst, Shetland

Ladle Ladle

Handled steatite ladle from Houlland, Unst, Shetland

Vessel stone / cooking bowl Vessel stone / cooking bowl

Handled cooking bowl of steatite from Houlland, Unst, Shetland, 800 - 1100 AD

Vessel stone / cooking bowl Vessel stone / cooking bowl

Cooking bowl of steatite, incomplete, from Houlland, Unst, Shetland

Vessel stone / bowl Vessel stone / bowl

Small square finished steatite bowl, from Shetland

Bowl Bowl

Bowl of steatite, oblong with animal-head handle and ornamented with incised lines, from Newton of Auchingoul, Inverkeithny, Banffshire, Scotland

Spindle whorl Spindle whorl

Spindle whorl of steatite, with runic inscription meaning 'Gautr carved the runes', from Stromness, Orkney, 1000 - 1200 AD

Vessel stone / urn Vessel stone / urn

Steatite urn, which contained a cremation deposit, from a cist excavated by James Farrar M.P. at Stennis [Stenness], Orkney

Vessel stone / urn Vessel stone / urn

Circular urn of steatite with ornamental rim, from Aucorn, Caithness, Highland, Bronze Age

Vessel stone / urn Vessel stone / urn

Urn of steatite, from Little Asta, Tingwall, Shetland, Middle Bronze Age, 1800 - 1200 BC

Vessel stone / urn Vessel stone / urn

Small vessel of steatite, from Little Asta, Tingwall, Shetland, Middle Bronze Age, 1800 - 1200 BC

Plug Plug

Plug of steatite, from a cist at Quandale Mound no.8, Rousay, Orkney, Middle Bronze Age, 1850 - 1400 BC

Plug Plug

Plug of steatite, from a cist at Quandale Mound no.8, Rousay, Orkney, Middle Bronze Age, 1850 - 1400 BC

Plug Plug

Plug of steatite, from a cist at Quandale Mound 8, Rousay, Orkney, Middle Bronze Age, 1850 - 1400 BC

Stamp, oculist's Stamp, oculist's

Oculist's stamp of imported green serpentine, with inscriptions on two faces, from Tranent, East Lothian, 2nd century AD

Back to top