What is it?
Make your own upcycled dinosaur from left over cardboard. Choose from one of these simple templates: a terrific T Rex, a stunning Stegosaursus or a dapper Diplodocus.
What do you need?
- Cardboard from a box or leftover packaging (needs to be strong enough for your recyclesaurus to stand up)
- Felt tip pens and crayons
- Anything else you’d like to use to decorate your recyclesaurus
What do you do?
- Choose a dinosaur you’d like to make – a terrific T Rex, stunning Stegosaurus or dapper Diplodocus perhaps?
- Get a piece of cardboard - ideally use slightly thicker cardboard (that has a bit of corrugation) as this will help your dino to stand.
- Draw your basic dino shape on to your cardboard – without the legs for now!
- Carefully cut around your dino shape – this can be fiddly so you might need an adult to help. Then draw and cut out some basic u-shaped dino legs as below. Your dino might need two legs, or it might need four legs (so you would do two u-shapes).
- Cut inserts on your dino and dino legs. They should be roughly 2cm deep. Then match up the cuts and carefully slide the legs on to the dino body. The tips of your T. Rex toes need to be folded like the picture below.
- Decorate your dinosaur with felt tip pens or crayons. What colour is your dinosaur going to be? Does it have patterns on its skin? Will it be fierce or friendly?
Remember! When it’s time to say goodbye to your dinosaur you can put them back into the recycling, so the circle of life continues!