Monday 11 December, 2017
The National Museum of Flight is offering free entry to National Lottery players on 16 and 17 December.
The Museum is one of 350 participating National Lottery funded visitor attractions across the UK saying ‘thanks’ to people who have raised money for good causes by buying a lottery ticket.
The idea is simple: any visitor who presents a National Lottery ticket or scratchcard on 16 or 17 December gets free entry in return.
The National Museum of Flight has received £1.3 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The money has helped to pay for the redevelopment of two nationally significant Second World War hangars, devoted to military and civil aviation.
Ros Kerslake, Chief Executive of the Heritage Lottery Fund, said:
“December is a wonderful time to experience the UK’s rich, diverse and exciting heritage, which has been transformed by more than £7 billion of National Lottery funding since 1994. This is a small gesture of thanks and a way of giving something back to the people who buy tickets.”
Steve McLean, General Manager of the National Museum of Flight, said:
“Thanks to National Lottery players we’ve been able to redevelop two of our nationally significant Second World War hangars, offering dramatic new experiences for our visitors. Spanning a century of aviation, the displays present our spectacular aircraft in new and dynamic ways, revealing the engaging stories of some of the people who flew and worked with them.”
Further information and images from: Alice Wyllie, National Museums Scotland Press Office on 0131 247 4288 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
- The National Lottery
- National Lottery players raise, on average, over £30 million each week for projects all over the country. In total £37 billion has been raised for Good Causes since The National Lottery began in 1994 and more than 510,000 individual grants have been made across the UK, the majority (70 per cent) of which are for £10,000 or less, helping small projects make a big difference in their community!
- The Heritage Lottery Fund
- Thanks to National Lottery players, we invest money to help people across the UK explore, enjoy and protect the heritage they care about - from the archaeology under our feet to the historic parks and buildings we love, from precious memories and collections to rare wildlife. www.hlf.org.uk @heritagelottery. For more information, please contact Katie Owen, HLF Press Office on tel: 020 7591 6036 @heritagelottery #NationalLottery
- National Museums Scotland
Bheireadh Oifis nam Meadhanan eadar-theangachadh Gàidhlig den bhrath-naidheachd seachad do bhuidhinn mheadhanan bharantaichte. Cuiribh fios do dh'Oifis nam Meadhanan airson bruidhinn air cinn-latha freagarrach.
- National Museums Scotland is one of the leading museum groups in the UK and Europe and it looks after collections of national and international importance. The organisation provides loans, partnerships, research and training in Scotland and internationally. Our individual museums are the National Museum of Scotland, the National Museum of Flight, the National Museum of Rural Life and the National War Museum. The National Museums Collection Centre in Edinburgh houses conservation and research facilities as well as collections not currently on display.